I am currently in Broome (July 31, 2014). It seems I was about three months late in getting up North to walk the Kimberley’s. By September the heat can get up to 100-120 degrees with up to 100% humidity. Then rain sets in around November, creating mud that will cause tires to be ditched and I can't afford to lose Athena. I have been committed to doing Gibb River Rd, a dirt road that cuts directly across the Kimberleys. It is some of the most beautiful landscape in a scared land to the Aboriginals.
My most doable option was to stop at Carnarvon and take a bus up to Broome.
Once I make it to Darwin, I will go back to Broome to finish the stretch from Broome to Carnarvon, completing my Western Australia route.
I'm well aware the weather can easily deter the best laid plans and this is the beginning of my experience of letting Mother Nature guide me.
It’s my chance to get off the highway and into more desert isolation. The challenges are the heat, it’s not at it’s greatest but it’s already 90 degrees Fahrenheit. Water and food is extremely limited. On a 660 kilometer (410 mile) rd there is only one petrol station for me to get supplies. I will be dependent on filtering water at rivers and asking for water along the way.
It will take me about 2.5- 3 months to make it to Darwin.
I'll try to update stories and email then but feel free to contact me via email.
If you need to get a hold of me there are two contacts.
In the U.S.- Ryan McGladrey 541-788-2001
In Australia- Darren Italiano- 0437780533